2020-09-15

Interview – PRIMORDIAL HARVEST (USA)


PRIMORDIAL HARVEST from Columbus, Ohio (USA) created during quarantine period due to Covid-19. This one-man band project did not take long to release the debut tape “Malevolent Mask”. – Interview by Harshziqr [01.09.2020]

What encouraged you to form Primordial Harvest? Tell us the band history and current lineup?
The main reason Primordial Harvest was formed was because of quarantine, I had so much time on my hands, I decided to create a new project and see what I could do with it. I’ve been writing this stuff since about March of 2020 and hope to put out more this year. Currently, the only member of the band is myself (Alex) but I’ll recruit some friends for when we can finally play shows again.

How do you describe your music and sound? Where do the influences come from?
Our sound walks the line between hardcore and grindcore - short songs and breakdowns are essential. The bands that really influenced this are Weekend Nachos, Wormrot and Agoraphobic Nosebleed.

Please explain further about your lyrical themes and the messages?
I think the lyrics mostly revolve around mortality and personal struggle. I always struggle with the concept of life and death because it does bring me existential dread constantly but at the end of the day, there is nothing we can do about. The only thing we can do is continue to live and enjoy what little time we have on this planet.

Please inform us about the release of “Malevolent Mask”?
Malevolent Mask is a great introduction for us and is available everywhere now. I am excited with the response so far but I can’t wait to release more stuff later this year and show everyone how our sound is continuing to develop.

Do you really satisfy with the recording quality and the mixing/mastering outputs?
I think our first release sounded great recording wise, my friend Robert did an exceptional job. I will say that our next release will sound a bit more noisey and abrasive.

What would be your next releases and future plans?
The current goal is to keep pushing the EP, release some merch and then by November / December of this year (2020), I am planning to drop some new stuff. Hopefully by this time next year we are also playing shows throughout the US.

Tell us a bit about the grind / noise / brutal music scene in Columbus, Ohio?
The music scene in Columbus has so much to offer in just about every genre. I would say the hardcore and death metal scene is really starting to make big moves. If you haven’t checked them out, Sanguisugabogg is taking over right now and I can’t wait for their new stuff. Some other really great hardcore / metal bands that come to mind from here are En Love, Zonezero and Ritual Eulogy.

Thanks for your time. Last words?
I appreciate you reaching out & giving me some time to talk about things. Stream our EP, follow us on social media and keep an eye out for new stuff later this year.