2018-07-26

Interview – INSUFFERABLE (UK)


Here we have INSUFFERABLE, Noisy Grind Hell from Rosyth, Scotland (UK). If you visit their Bandcamp, you'll find that the band has put out few excellent releases in this year; Agony (Feb 2018), Avoid At All Costs (Mar 2018), Beyond Reach (Apr 2018), and the recent one Improvised Grind Device (Jul 2018). This is a worth-checking band! The following conversation answered by Nick Waller (vocals/guitar). – Interview by Harshziqr [25.07.2018]

When and how did the band Insufferable get formed? Introduce us the band members?
Insufferable started back in 2015 and was originally a one man noise project, then towards the end of 2016 I asked Matty, the drummer, if he wanted to get together and jam. I had performed with him in Deathwank a few times and my guitar had just been sitting collecting dust, I thought it would be a good opportunity to try something different. Bobby King plays drums for Insufferable on occasion, I’m working on recording something with him. Tony played bass on our latest release,  I’m working on getting him to play a gig with us. To get all four in the same room and do something as a “real band” would be cool but we’ll see how it goes.

I thought you guys have a good music. How do you describe your sound, and any bands that influenced you?
Thanks man! I’m not sure, I guess I would describe it as a raw, primitive, noisy grindcore kind of sound. I can’t speak for the rest of the guys but I’ve been influenced by bands like The Dillinger Escape Plan, Black Flag, Trash Talk, Cro-Mags and Iron Lung. Not necessarily the sounds of all of those bands, their work ethic and the way they carry/carried themselves have certainly had an influence on me as well. 

Please further explain about the releases you put out so far? How do you see the band evolved, musically?
We had a few EPs, some live albums, and loads of splits (which will be rereleased at some point) out before we recorded and released Agony, which is where I feel we started to introduce slightly more structure than there had been on anything previously released, but it was still very chaotic. Avoid At All Costs kind of continued that but we tried to be a little more out there and try some different, weirder things. Beyond Reach was the release where I felt we kind of started to write “songs”. The band had taken some time off and I had started messing around with my guitar again, wrote out and structured the songs. Improvised Grind Device is kind of a melding of everything, songs slightly longer and more structured, stop-start style similar to earlier releases,  a couple of 1 second tracks. I feel as though we’re the most comfortable we’ve ever been, playing the tightest we’ve ever played and at a place where we have our own sound, which is pretty cool. 

What were written within your lyrics?
Most people don’t think we have lyrics! But we do. I’ve just become more private with them and don’t post them on the Bandcamp page any more. I tend to write autobiographically most of the time but there’s very little filter on what influences an Insufferable track, a bad relationship, struggling with anxiety, or a great horror movie.  The track Tooth and Nail on the latest release is about having to fight and claw to get myself to where I am today, which was an uphill battle, if I wasn’t getting in my own way then other people were making life difficult. Some tracks I can pour my heart out into lyrically, others are just fun to write. For example, I recently wrote a track about Michael Myers from Halloween that we recorded called “The Shape” that I’m looking forward to releasing in October.

Do you play in gigs oftenly? What were among the memorable shows ever?
As often as we can, if we can get the time off work. There’s been a few that were memorable! I always remember when we played in Aberdeen because we had a couple of mental encounters before the gig, and the shenanigans that occurred after. Our friend Mathew from Gay Panic Defence said we made him feel sick that night. The night we played Bannermans in Edinburgh was pretty awesome. I had just went through a shitty break-up and ended up having a great time, that was probably the most merch we’ve ever sold at a gig as well. Both times we’ve played Dundee have been great as well, both gigs had quite a varied line-up which made it more interesting. Those are the four that stick out in my head at the moment.

Share something about the music/underground scene in your homeland?
It’s very interesting. You can find some really cool, weird bands if you look in the right places. VFLAMBDA, Snuff Funs, Gay Panic Defence, The Manky Hoors, Wheelchair x4 are just a few I know. Kingpin, Scumpulse, Endless Swarm are another couple of bands who have had a bit more exposure but are still very much a part of the scene.

What do you expect about Insufferable in the future?
Well, we’re heading off to go on tour in Canada at the beginning of August, we’ll have dates and event pages on our Facebook page pretty soon. We have a couple of gigs and a single in the works after that and then maybe start working on a new album.

Thanks for your time. Last words?
No problem! Thanks for giving a shit about what we do and taking the time to read this. We appreciate it!